Why Use a Professional?
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC.org) recommends you do not attempt to treat any water disaster yourself, but hire a certified restoration firm that employs professionals trained to assess and repair damage caused by water.
Damages from water can be deceptive. Water penetrates into between walls, creating trapped pockets of saturation. The detection of water in these areas can often only be discovered with sophisticated moisture detection meters. Undetected moisture will continue to cause damage. This damage, at a minimum, will cause odors. Greater damage will surface when materials delaminate, shrink, split and further deteriorate to where costly repairs are required.
All IICRC-certified professionals have the training and experience to identify moisture sources, evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected), contain damage, remove contamination and dry materials to ensure that mold will not grow or return.